Take the chill off with this healthy and delicious bowl of carrot soup infused with fresh rosemary and ginger.
3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups of chopped onion
4 large fresh sprigs of rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 large garlic clove,chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 pounds peeled organic carrots, chopped
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
Creme fraiche, for garnish
1. Place three sprigs of rosemary and the bay leaves in cheesecloth and tie with butchers twine. Cut remaining sprig into 4 smaller pieces and reserve for garnish.
2. Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, the cheesecloth bundled rosemary and bay leaves, and garlic. Saute until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add ginger and stir for one minute.
4. Add carrots and broth. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Remove and discard cheesecloth bundle. Season with salt and puree soup in blender until very smooth. Return to the same pot to heat.
Serve in bowls with a dollop of creme fraiche and a small sprig of rosemary.
Note: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, cover and chill. Rewarm over low heat before serving.
*If your soup is too thick you can thin by adding a little chicken stock after you have pureed it.
Makes enough for 4 servings